Monday, September 19, 2011

Harper's Arrival

As you can see from my earlier posts, labor was progressing just as we hoped...until I hit 6 cm.

Aunt Sissy stopped by to check on the labor status as well! At 8:30 pm, my contractions were consistent and strong...have I mentioned how wonderful epidurals are? I was 6 cm and 80% effaced (if you don't know, the goal is 10cm and 100% effaced). On average, on pitocin, you gain a centimeter about every 2 hours. At 10:30 pm, the doctor came back in and thought I was close to 8 cm and then the baby moved back up towards my ribs and the doctor realized I was still 6 cm. She also noticed that the way she was sitting in my uterus, it was thinning on one side and not the other. We decided to wait on more hour to see if there was any progression and if not, we would discuss a c-section.
(everyone waiting to see what is going to happen)
At 11:30 pm, the doctor checked me out and we were still at 6 cm. She asked me what I wanted to do and I just looked at Josh. I was really fine either way. Josh was hoping for a vaginal birth...but also knew if we waited another hour, it was only getting later in the night and we could still have the same results. We talked to the doctor and she said she thought this was the best way to go.
Within 1 minute of deciding, there were 6 people in the room prepping me for a c-section. I was put on a few different types of medication and began shaking like crazy. I started to feel really weird and uncomfortable.




They rolled me into the OR and had Josh wait for me outside. They got me all prepped and he joined me. The shaking was making me second guess our decision...so I just shut my eyes and tried not to think about what was going on. The doctor asked if I wanted a play by play and I said no. I was worried I would freak out about body parts and stuff. Josh just held my hand and I tried to "sleep" through the surgery.
A few minutes later, I heard this small little cry...she was here! It was such a sweet sound. According to the doctor, she shot her arm out first...my little drama queen! Once she was out (head first), she was immediately taken over to the corner of the room and Josh joined her.


They did all her test, weight, etc. and then handed her to Josh. He walked her over to me and I saw my little girl for the first time. She was beautiful...with the fattest cheeks ever!
She was here. Finally here. After 40 weeks and 5 days, my daughter entered this world.
Harper Elizabeth
9.19.2011
12:07 am
20 inches long
8 lbs. and 15 oz.
She shares a birthday with her great grandma anna (my moms mom).
She said it was the best birthday present!

Here she is making her pirate face...oh by the way...she was born on "National Talk Like A Pirate Day".
I find that to be very fitting for my child...to be born on a talking day of some kind!

UPDATE: the doctor saw the size of her head and said she was glad we decided on a c-section!

5 comments:

  1. I love this post!! Congratulations, she is beautiful! And, I adore that she was born on "talk like a pirate day" too funny!! You look fabulous, mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Allison!!!

    Harper is beautiful and squishy!! (all newborns are lol ) and she is a BIG baby!! And I thought my kids were on the large side.

    Enjoy being a brand new mommy and take care of your family.

    Congrats!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! I can't wait to meet her soon!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post!! ...and I am going to have to regularly check in now and see what's going on and how she's developing!! We are sure to get there when you are ready to see her!! :) Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete