Monday, July 11, 2011

Harper, The New It Name?

This morning I woke up to my local radio station talking about the name Harper Seven.  It was a big story b/c of the name Seven.  Intrigued and curious, I stood there a minute to see who else named their baby Harper.  Finally, I heard them say Victoria and David...Beckham that is.  Being a lover of all things celebrity gossip...I knew she had her first baby girl yesterday...just didn't know the name. 
I got out of bed, grabbed my phone, and headed to the bathroom to do my morning "before work" routine.  I had a few messages already mentioning how "Trendy" our little Harper is b/c of the Beckhams.  So within 2 minutes of being out of bed, I am learning that my baby girl now shares the name of a hot Hollywood couple's new baby. 
Great right? Well, blame it on the hormones...but I don't love it!  This is the one time in my life you will hear me say I don't want to be trendy.  I was hoping for a unique name. A family name (ok, so i didn't care if it was a family name until after I found out Harper happened to be one).  A name that isn't on a teacher's roster 3 times in one year.  For those of you that have named a child, you realize the importance of their name.  You want them to be special. You want for no one else to compare your little baby to another one with the same name.  I know this seems like a bit of a dramatic reaction to a celebrity couple's baby name...again, I blame the hormones and lack of sleep for this. 
When we named our baby, I knew of one Harper.  She is the beautiful teenage cousin of my friend Jordan.  I have known her since she was 3 and she is just darling.  Other than that, no one.  As soon as we decided on the name, I saw it was a collection on Pottery Barn Kids, two other celebs have little girls under the age of 1 with the name,  friends of friends have the EXACT SAME NAME, and my cousin is even naming her baby girl Harper Gayle.  
I know there is nothing I can do with the growing popularity of the name.  I don't know why I am writing this post in the first place.  I guess I just needed to share my feelings about Harper.  This baby growing inside me is Harper.  Harper Elizabeth. That will not change. She will be unique.  She will be trendy and classy at the same time. She is named after her great grandfather and aunt.  She will be the baby that makes this name special.
{Sorry it's hard to read--Nursery Sneak Peak}
If the Beckham's want their baby to be as awesome as mine...I can't blame them  :)  Thank you for reading about my pity party.  I love the growing baby inside me.  I love her name. Nothing will make me change it...unless she happens to come out a boy! :)

4 comments:

  1. I know a few friends with new babies this spring,summer, and fall that chose the name Harper too, and each and every time I love the name. It is a beautiful name and she is going to love it too. I would not second guess it at all. It is a perfect name for your little girl and the fact that it is a family name to you guys is even better! I can not wait to meet the one and only Harper Elizabeth Meadows this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still choose to think that Harper is named after my sweet Grandaddy Hubert Harper Hudson. If you had known him you would have used the name in his honor. He was a wonderful,simple hardworking man who cared about the Lord and his family. Nothing meant more to him!!! Beckham who???? I don't know them!! Your Harper is so much more special!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandma always tells the story of wanting to name my mom "Tracey" when she was pregnant and finding out that in the same (very) small Kansas town, there were two other women pregnant at the same time (who delivered before her) who named their babies "Tracey" too. My grandma was devestated because she loved the name and didn't want it to be too popular or worse...for people to think she 'copied' them. However, when she was born my grandma decided to name my mom Tracey anyway. She says now, "I'm so glad I didn't let what other people thought influence me. We moved away and your mom grew up and it didn't matter how many Tracey's there are in our small town or in the world, for that matter. I love the name and I still do." So...I get it. But, you have it right! Harper Elizabeth Meadows will be special and her name will have significance beyond the 'celebrity' associated with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name "Harper Elizabeth"! It's beautiful! The name in her nursery looks great! And, I love your blog decor! You better bring that sweet baby girl to visit her Bossy because I want to see her!

    ReplyDelete