Monday, January 9, 2012

Work!

It's official. My maternity leave and vacation is over. Though I have always known I would be a working mom, I would get sick to my stomach thinking about heading back. I cannot put into words how much I have loved being at home with Harper!

Harper is staying with a friend and her daughter while Josh and I are at work. So far, the girls seem to be on the fast track to best buddies. Knowing Harper is in a great home really makes working easier.

The first day was the hardest! I had to wake up Harper an hour early. My usually happy-morning-baby burst into tears...then I did the same. I was a mess. Josh didn't know what to do when he walked in the nursery to find us both like that.  Originally, Josh was going to take her to Katie's so I didn't have to say goodbye there...but he got called in to an early meeting.  I got my pump, purse, diaper bag, and baby...and headed off to Katie's.  We talked for a few minutes then I just had to walk out the door.  I couldn't even say goodbye without crying.  I bolted and then cried the whole way to the office. 

When I arrived to the office, everyone was so nice and welcoming!  They all wanted to know about the baby...I couldn't answer without tearing up.  I told them to ask me in 3 weeks! I had a few meetings and stayed busy the whole time I was at the office--that really helped! 

After work, I headed straight to Katie's to pick up Harper.  It was amazing to see her smile a big smile when I got there!  It was also nice to see she was having a good time with her new friends!  That made the next two days much easier.  I haven't cried since that first day and am slowly figuring out our new groove!  As much as I love staying at home with Harper, I know that is a good decision for our family.  It's not easy...but seeing her face at the end of the day is one of the best feelings in the world!

Harper and new friend Susie
Nap time at Katie's house.
In the morning before I dropped her off on Friday
After a great week at daycare!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh this made me tear up for you. There are definite pluses and minuses to being a stay at home mom and working mom. What works for every family is different. I am sure it will get easier in time to leave her, and I know that it will make seeing her at the end of each work day all the more wonderful. Knowing she is not in a daycare and is with a trusted friend at home is a wonderful thing too. She will love her playtime away from Momma, and appreciate seeing you all the more. I will keep you in my prayers for an easy transition from staying at home to being a working Momma. She will be very proud of you one day for all you do for her!

    ReplyDelete